Todays the day of the Midlands Area Contest.
We have been working under the baton of John Hudson, who was the Musical Director of the band some ten years ago. The piece this year was James Curnow's Brass Metamorphosis.
Unfortunately we were drawn last this year which meant a long day of waiting before we got the opportunity to play. The upside to performing so late is the hall is full of expectant bandsman and you have a real audience to play to, which is a real contrast to previous years when we have been in the first half of the draw playing to a near empty hall.
The band played well, and in John's words "did everything that I wanted us to" and whilst not an unblemished performance, was a controlled organised and accurate account.
When results came our we were pleased to say we have achieved an 8th place which will maintain our position as 5th in the table.
Full Results here:
1. Staffordshire (Leigh Baker)
2. Foresters Brass (John Davis)
3. Enderby (Simon Gresswell)
4. Rushden Town (Adele Hudson)
5. Oddfellows Brass (Rob Boulter)
6. Bedworth Brass (David Maplestone)
7. Burbage Buxton (Steve Critchlow)
8. Kibworth (John Hudson)
9. Bilton Silver (Rugby) (David Stowell)
10. Carlton Brass (Gary Wyatt)
11. Shirebrook MW Unison (Colum O'Shea)
12. Ibstock Brick Brass (Simon Willis)
13. Leicestershire Co-op (Graham Jacklin)
14. Gresley Colliery (David Purkiss)
15. Glossop Old (Duncan Beckley)
16. Harborough (Brad Turnbull)
17. Wigston (Chris Small)
18. Shirley (David Hirst)